Muladhara Chakra: The Root
Muladhara, the base chakra, is our foundation and represents earth, the most dense of the five elements that compose life. It’s of vital importance that our foundation is strong because when it is not, our primal needs of personal stability and security become out of balance. Muladhara governs your relationship with money, your family and your physical body – your roots.
In teaching yoga, we want to pay special attention to the feet, legs, pelvic floor and pelvis to establish that firm, steady foundation for our “roots”. The seeds of all action are located in Muladhara and together with the lower chakras, can only be expressed properly when the base is steady.
Here is some inspiration to work with the energy of Muladhara whether you’d like to find balance and connection in your own life or you wish to implement it in your teachings.
*Remember, the usage of the words “higher” or “upper” and “lower” chakras is not meant as a hierarchical adjective but rather a physical descriptor of their locations in the body along the spine. Our intention is not to imply that the lower chakras are something to evolve past or move beyond or dismiss as “less than”. All the chakras are connected, as is everything in life, so the aim is to focus on the system as a whole and find balance where it’s needed as you move through your personal spiritual evolution.
Location: Base of spine
Affirmation: I Am
Deity: Brahma, Ganesha
Represents: Foundation, safety, survival
Emotion: Belonging, independence, survival
Physical: Spine, bladder, blood, lower limbs, male reproductive organs
Balanced: Independent, trusting, grounded, poised, full of life
Overactive: Domineering, greedy, violent, bossy, egocentric, cunning
Under-active: Fearful, frustrated, shy, unsure, sexually inadequate
Themes to focus on:
- Body Acceptance
- Abundance + Prosperity
- Safety + Security
Prompts for Self-Inquiry
- Does my life feel stable or out of control?
- Do I find it difficult to make decisions?
- What’s my relationship with money?
- How do I act with regard to my personal safety or that of my family members?
- Do I find it difficult to nourish my body properly?
- Do I have ongoing problems with my parents, children or other family members?
Affirmations to Incorporate
- The earth supports me and meets my needs.
- It is safe for me to be here.
- I love my body and trust its wisdom.
- I am immersed in abundance.
Healing Practices to Balance
- Reconnect with your body
- Physical Activity
- Massage and touch
- Hatha Yoga
- Explore early childhood and relationship to mother